EL CID’S CASTLES – GORMAZ – BURGO DE OSMA- (APPROX. 370 KM)
1 DAY / 2 DAYS TOURS (OPTIONAL) & SELFGUIDED OPTION!
You will experience:
- Impressive scenery along our route and plenty of castles!
- Picturesque country towns (Burgo de Osma, San Esteban, Berlanga)
- The 10th centrury fortress of Gormez with it’s 1.2 km walls and twenty-six towers, one of the largest historical fortification in Europe!
- Roman bridge in San Esteban
- Burgo de Osma’s historical quarter and imposing cathedral.
We depart Madrid in a north east direction on the A-2, then continuing on N-101 to Jadraque’s Castle, our first destination of the day. Next is Atienza’s stunning medieval character along scenic country roads. We make our way to Berlanga;s historical quarter and castle, another town with an incredible ambiente! After a refreshment we continue to the imposing fortress of Gormaz, rewarding us with exceptional panoramas of the whole area! After a walk around the fortress and taking the obligatory pictures we carry on to the historical town of Burgo de Osma for a walk around its picturesque, well reserved old part of town, it’s towering cathedral and enjoying some well-deserved snacks and refreshments!
We then leave Burgo to slowly make our way back towards Madrid, with a short detour to Buitrago de Lozoya, another town with a splendid walled part of town and very impressive surroundings not to be missed!
From there we continue on back to the capital in time for dinner, hopefully!
Buitrago de Lozoya Castle